Cities across Washington want to take action locally to address global climate change. Through energy efficiency programs and Climate Action Plans, we are seeing increased government interest and goals for reducing the carbon impact of the built environment. But the specific measures and levers to meet these goals require policy, market research, and meaningful partnerships that take time and resources.
Building on the research, experience and leadership in the Pacific Northwest on the advancement of green buildings, Shift Zero developed a ZNC Policy Toolkit in 2018 to assist municipalities in crafting and implementing building incentives and policies that can have a positive impact and help municipalities achieve their climate goals. The initial toolkit has been updated and expanded in a second edition Zero Carbon Buildings Policy Toolkit, published in December 2020 with new case studies, topics, resources and a free Policy Design Tool.
Incentives are a proven way to increase green building market share if structured and implemented in a way that matches the local context. The Zero Carbon Buildings Policy Toolkit provides local governments with material to more effectively champion zero carbon building:
- Tiers of certifications leading to highly energy efficient or zero carbon buildings
- Guidance on which types of incentives are effective in a given context
- Draft legislation that can be amended locally
- Policy Design Tool: a step-by-step process to help a local government consider a range of factors to determine policies and incentives tailored to the local context.
Download the Zero Carbon Buildings Policy Toolkit
Shift Zero members are available to share expertise and discuss incentives with interested municipalities. Contact us to learn how local incentives can help bring the benefits of zero carbon building to communities across Washington state. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
View Other Shift Zero Task Force Initiatives:
- Building Electrification
- 20 by 2020 Building Challenge
- Energy Performance Disclosure and Upgrade at Point of Sale
- PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) Financing
- Energy Code Roadmap
- Zero Net Carbon Policy Toolkit