Greenhouse gas emissions from the existing building stock are a significant contributor to climate change, while a home’s energy performance is an important, yet often inaccessible, piece of information for potential buyers. We aim to address the energy inefficiencies of existing housing by supporting legislation that will create a mechanism for energy disclosure at the point of listing, as well as potential energy efficient upgrade mandates in the future.
Such a policy must be carefully shaped to ensure impacts are equitable. This task force will be paying attention to how the policy mitigates negative impacts and ensures that frontline communities stand to benefit, providing input and review at the policy drafting stage and in supporting with advocacy outreach.
View Other Shift Zero Task Force Initiatives:
- 20 by 2020 Building Challenge
- Energy Performance Disclosure and Upgrade at Point of Sale
- PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) Financing
- Roadmap to Zero Net Energy Building Code
- Zero Net Carbon Policy Toolkit